Jump to content
  • New York student visa

Make your move to New York City.

Study graphic design in NYC

Grab your chance to live and study design in NYC

Have you always dreamed of living in New York City? Now’s your chance! Study design at Shillington and make your move to the Big Apple.

We offer the M-1 Student Visa for our 3 month full-time graphic design course. Get answers to all your questions below. Please read carefully.

When you officially apply to Shillington, indicate that you’re planning to take advantage of the M-1 Student Visa. We’ll help you with the process from there.

What is the M-1 Visa application process?

Shillington is authorized to enroll foreign students under M-1 visa classification. We issue I-20 certificate of eligibility forms for successful applicants, provided all required documents and relevant evidence have been shared with Shillington and these documents meet all the legal requirements for enrollment in our program of study.

Enroll online, and tick the M-1 Visa category. We’ll be in touch with further details and an extra application form. You’ll need to send us all required documentation and the $1,000 deposit. Then we can issue I-20 certificate forms to successful applicants.

Once application and documentation has been received:

  • Shillington determines if you have fully met the admission requirements.
  • Shillington will then issue a signed Form I-20.
  • Please carefully review your Form I-20 after receipt and inform Shillington immediately if there are any mistakes.
  • The signed, original Form I-20 will enable you to book an appointment at your nearest US consulate or embassy for a visa interview. For more information visit U.S. Visas (Bureau of Consular Affairs).
  • You are then required to pay the visa application fee and the SEVIS fee. For more information visit U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
  • You then apply to your local U.S. consulate or embassy for a visa interview. See visa interview details below or for more information visit U.S. Visas (Bureau of Consular Affairs).
  • Your M-1 Visa will be added into your passport, if the US Embassy interview is successful.
  • Pay the tuition fees in full a minimum of 30 days prior to the start of the course (USD$12,950 including deposit).
  • You can then enter into the U.S. no more than 30 days prior to your program start date on your Form I-20. Your entry into the U.S is at the discretion of the U.S. Immigration customs and border protection inspectors at the port of entry.
  • Report into the Shillington New York campus and register as soon as possible.
  • Start the full-time graphic design course and register with Shillington’s head office.

Please be aware:

  • The success on obtaining a visa, your interview at the US consulate and your entry at the US border are primarily your responsibility.
  • Having a signed Form I-20 does not guarantee you issuance of an M-1 Visa by a U.S. Consular post.
  • Having the M-1 Visa does not guarantee admission into the United States. Issuance of the visa stamp or admission into the United States is at the discretion of the us embassy and/or the U.S. Immigration customs and border protection inspectors at the port of entry.

For more information visit this U.S Government Site.

What documentation do I need to provide to Shillington?

  1. Scan of info page of passport
  2. You must have a minimum of USD $24K for tuition and living expenses and provide proof of this financial responsibility. This can be recent bank statements showing a balance in U.S. dollars within 3 months. If you are receiving free room and board in the U.S. you must submit a letter of proof.If your family members will be supporting you, they can use a USCIS Form I-134 to indicate that they not only have the income and assets you’ve shown, but they are willing to spend them on your studies and living expenses.
  3. Provide proof of academic qualifications. There is a minimum requirement of a high school diploma or equivalent.

What do I take to my interview at the US Embassy/Consulate?

You must take the following to your visa interview:

  1. Your signed Form I-20 issued by Shillington
  2. A completed application Form DS-160. Some applicants may also be required to complete and sign Form DS-157. Children need a separate form, even if they are included in a parent’s passport. For more information visit U.S. Immigration & Customs Enforcement.
  3. A passport valid for at least 6 months after the proposed date of entry into the U.S.
  4. One (1) 2″x2″ photograph
  5. A fee receipt to show payment of the visa application fee
  6. A visa issuance fee if applicable. Please visit U.S. Immigration & Customs Enforcement—Student Process for more information.
  7. A separate SEVIS I-901 fee receipt
  8. Transcripts and diplomas from previous institutions attended
  9. Financial evidence showing that you have sufficient funds to cover tuition and living expenses during the period of intended study. Shillington suggests minimum of $23k for tuition and living expenses for the full-time course.
  10. Applicants with dependents must also provide proof of relationship to their spouse and/or children (e.g marriage and birth certificate).

Before traveling to the U.S. please visit U.S. Customs & Border Protection. It explains the purpose of the Form I-94 and briefly describes the arrival inspection process.

How long can I be in the United States?

You are allowed to enter the U.S no more than 30 days before the start of your course, the entire full-time course duration, and then you have up to a maximum of 30 days after the course finishes to leave the country.

How long will the process take?

We encourage you to apply as soon as possible. Providing Shillington with the required documentation straight away will help speed up the process.  You do have to take into consideration that the original, signed I-20 must be mailed to you (priority delivery additional cost) as you need to take this I-20 to a U.S Embassy appointment.

Consular appointment availability and visa processing turnaround times are location specific and Shillington cannot forsee nor control these timings nor the outcome of your application.

If you cannot arrive in time for the start of the program you must contact us before your program start date and get a reprinted Form I-20 for a deferred program start date.

What is required for entry into the United States?

You must hand-carry all immigration documents and have 3 copies of all documents. These documents need to be presented at the port of entry.

  1. The original, signed Form I-20 issued by Shillington
  2. A valid visa containing the SEVIS ID and the name of the student and Shillington
  3. Financial documentation as evidence of ability to pay tuition and living expenses
  4. A valid passport
  5. Proof of payment of the SEVIS I-901 fee

Please be advised that you may be required to have a secondary inspection at the port of entry. After review of your documents, the Customs and Border Protection Officer will stamp your Form I-94 after determining the student is eligible to enter. You must present your I-94 to Shillington so we can obtain a copy of it for your student records.

Please also be aware that having an M-1 visa does not guarantee admission into the United States. Issuance of the visa stamp or admission into the United States is at the discretion of the U.S. embassy and/or the U.S. Immigration customs and border protection inspectors at the port of entry.

What if I'm a visa exempt student?

Visa exempt students, including citizens of Canada or Bermuda, do not need a visa to enter the U.S. These prospective students do the following:

  1. Apply directly to the port of entry for eligibility to enter the U.S.
  2. Present all documents listed above except for the visa
  3. Provide proof that they paid the SEVIS I-901 fee prior to arrival

What should I do when I arrive in the U.S.?

When you arrive in the U.S., ring or email Shillington straight away to book an appointment at the school.

  1. We require an updated U.S. address and U.S. phone number
  2. We must have emergency contact information for you
  3. Shillington needs to scan your I-94, I-20 and visa

How do I maintain my visa whilst studying at Shillington?

  • Attend Shillington every single day of the course
  • Report address changes to Shillington within 10 days of the change
  • Notify Shillington prior to traveling outside the U.S. (more information below)
  • Notify Shillington upon applying for change of non immigrant status
  • Notify Shillington upon approval of an adjustment of your status
  • Notify Shillington about changes in dependents

Can I leave and re-enter the U.S. whilst studying?

  • You need your Form I-20 with current information—signed by Shillington—to allow travel outside the U.S.
  • Your visa and passport must be valid
  • You must take your signed Form I-20 with you
  • A student cannot reenter the country during the grace period granted after completing a program of study

Do you provide student health insurance?

Shillington does not require nor provide any health insurance plan options. We recommend students obtain health insurance with a repatriation clause whilst studying in the US. There are a number of affordable insurance plans for international students including ISO Student Health Insurance and International Student Insurance.

Shillington is not responsible for any student incurred accident, illness, or emergency medical treatment expenses and/or medical decisions.

Can I change my visa status?

  • You may apply for a change of status while in the United States. We strongly recommend that you apply from your home country due to strict immigration guidelines and extensive processing times.
  • Change of status is adjudicated by USCIS, a division of U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Shillington has no influence regarding approval or denial of your change of status.  The final decision is solely at the discretion of the United States government.
  • We strongly advise you to contact an immigration attorney for additional information on changing your visa status while in the United States. Not all visa types are eligible for a change of status. Remember that attorneys will charge fees for their help.

For more information visit this page and more information here also there is a USCIS guide to changing your status.

Can my spouse or children accompany me to the U.S.?

Yes—please notify Shillington when you apply. You must be financially able to support them whilst you are studying.

The visa allows you to arrive a month before the course begins and stay for a month after. It’s a great opportunity to absorb all New York City has to offer!

Aisha Kareem
M-1 Visa Graduate

Do you have a language requirement?

Students from Overseas

Do you have a language requirement?

Our fast-paced course is taught in English, so we need to confirm all students’ language proficiency before the course starts. We’ll contact you for a quick verbal interview.


Do students from overseas pay higher course fees?

Students from Overseas

Do students from overseas pay higher course fees?

No. Shillington course fees are the same for domestic students and students from overseas. Find out more about studying design abroad!


Can I get a visa to study in Australia?

Students from Overseas

Can I get a visa to study in Australia?

We can accept students in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane who are eVisitor (Subclass 651)Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417)Work and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462) or Electronic Travel Authority (Subclass 601) Visa) holders or New Zealand citizens. (Please note: Shillington is not CRICOS registered.) Find out more about studying design abroad!


Can I get a visa to study in the United Kingdom?

Students from Overseas

Can I get a visa to study in the United Kingdom?

We can accept students in London and Manchester who are Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) Visa holders, European Union (EU) members, European Economic Area (EEA) members and Swiss citizens. Find out more about studying design abroad!


Hold up!

Still have questions about the M-1 Visa?

Apply Today

1 Campus and
intake date
2 Personal
3 Review and
4 Deposit
Campus and Intake Date

How it works

Ready to apply for Shillington's graphic design course? You're four steps away. Simply select your campus and course, share your personal details, pay the initial deposit and we'll get in touch to confirm all the details.

Still researching? Learn more about our course and view course dates and fees.

I would like to pay my deposit via:
The remainder of my fees will be paid:*

Need help? Let me know.