Design Advice from Tim Sutherland of StudioBrave
Here at Shillington we’re big fans of StudioBrave. #shillomel student Mandy Yong even sang their praises in an #ILoveTheseGuys earlier this year. So you can imagine our excitement when Founder & Creative Director Tim Sutherland stopped in for a guest lecture!
We loved the straight-forward advice throughout his presentation. No doubt these 10 lessons will resonate with all designers—whether you’re just starting out well into your career. Enjoy Tim’s words and work!
- Brave thinking leads to unexpected outcomes.
- Have a good brief. If you don’t get one from your client—it’s your job to make one.
- Don’t have your blinkers on. Look for inspiration outside your client’s industry.
- Whatever is expected, identify that, then turn it on its head.
- Trust your instincts.
- Provide what the client asked for, but add something unexpected. Challenge the brief.
- Don’t get stuck on one thing. Try lots of ideas.
- Know when to fight and when to left go. Sometimes it’s better to save that energy for other projects.
- Only present concepts that you would be happy if the client chose.
- Be remembered. I’d much rather have work loved or hated than not remembered.
Big thanks again to Tim Sutherland. Be sure to visit the StudioBrave website and follow them on Twitter and Instagram!